Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Round-Up: February 6

Here is a round-up of Wednesday's blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). You can keep up with the latest posts by using the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email.

AudioLatinProverbs.com: Today's proverb is Nihil annis velocius. In English: Nothing is faster than the years. Listen to the audio, and look at Ovid's use of this saying in the story of Venus and Adonis.

Vulgate Verses. The Vulgate Verses book is now available (from Lulu Publishers), and I'm adding Study Guides at the Vulgate Verses blog. The Study Guide I've added today is for Group 22, which includes the famous saying about "o ye of little faith" - Quid timidi estis, modicae fidei?

LatinViaFables.com: I'm continuing to work my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange. Today's fable is De praetore repetundarum damnato: About the praetor condemned for extortion. This fable by Abstemius reminds me of the traditional Aesop's fable, more like a joke really, about the boy and the tripe!

For an image today, I'll let the Roman Emperor of the Week widget supply us a portrait of this week's ruler!

(If you are reading this via email, you will need to visit the blog to see the image in action.)