Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15: A New Semester

As promised, I am back in action with some new widgets for the new semester! (Today is the first day of classes for me at the University of Oklahoma - regular classes start on August 22, but I always begin my online courses a week early to try to grab the students' attention before their classroom adventures begin.) I'll have a regular edition of the Bestiaria on Tuesday; for today, I wanted to announce the new widgets (below) and to explain just what blogs I'll be working on during the Fall semester (since I don't actually teach Latin - vae mihi! - it's hard to find a lot of time for Latin during the school year).
  • Bestiaria Latina blog. This is the blog that provides a kind of overview of what's going on with my Latin projects. I'll publish the regular edition of the Bestiaria Round-Up here on Tuesday, and I'll be publishing the Round-Up every other day.
  • Mille Fabulae at Una. Every day I keep adding a new fable with some kind of image or illustration to this blog. I am getting prettty close to having all 1001 fables in the blog! I'm pretty excited about that - there are just about 100 fables left to illustrate. So, if all goes well, I will have all 1001 fables illustrated by the end of this calendar year. Whoo-hoo!
  • I Love Google Books. This is also a blog where I publish something every day... and since I keep finding lots of new books at Google Books every day, I will probably never catch up on sharing all the great Latin books that I keep finding, all for free.
  • Fabulae Faciles blog. I'll be adding a new "easy fable" every other day, starting on Wednesday - plus I've got a new widget (see below) that will also keep me busy updating some of the appx. 200 easy fables from last year, adding vocabulary lists to them.
  • Verbosum blog. I'll be adding a new word every other day, starting on Wednesday - plus I've got a new widget (see below) that will also keep me busy updating some of the appx. 200 words from last year, choosing proverbs that are easy to read (I hope!), and linking up the proverbs in this blog with the proverbs at the Scala Sapientiae (see below).
  • Scala Sapientiae. This is the blog that takes me the longest to update, so I will be posting here irregularly during the school year, but whenever I get a chance (like on the weekends), I will keep adding new "rungs" to the big Latin Scala.
Meanwhile, here are the new widgets! You can read all the details about the new Fabulae Faciles widget here at Google+ ... and all the details about the new Verbum Hodiernum widget too. Meanwhile, here are the links you might want to check out for both of the new widgets:
And now, for your viewing pleasure, here is the Easy Fable of the Day for today (if you are reading this via the email, visit the blog post to see the widget in action):